If you haven't spent the holidays with Full Circle Foodie before, I'd like to extend a warm welcome. This is my fifth year executing my "Baked with Love" project where I bake a variety of cookies and candies and then package them up all pretty to give, with love, to coworkers, friends and family.
Each year, I incorporate tried and true traditions as well as new recipes that I am equally excited about. Grab some hot cocoa and enjoy your stay as my 2012 Box of Love unfolds before your eyes!
A crowd favorite every year are Three-Ginger Gingersnaps. Recipients always try and guess what makes these cookies pop. The secret? Fresh, ground and candied ginger.
The crispy sugared outside and chewy ginger inside make these a unique addition to any gift box or cookie tray.
Three-Ginger Ginger Snaps
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup unsulfured mild or full-flavored molasses
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons finely minced or grated fresh ginger root
1 large egg
¾ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
Large crystal white sanding sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Combine the warm butter, molasses, both sugars, fresh ginger, and the egg in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the flour mixture and chopped candied ginger and stir until incorporated.
- Chill dough for at least an hour.
- Scoop dough into small balls, roll in sanding sugar, and place 3 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be puffed up and will crack and deflate when removed from oven. This yields optimum chewiness.